Four Ways to Tell if Your Children are Farm Kids

1. Your children might be farm kids if you over hear your young sons talking and one says, “Well, my doe is still not accepting service” and your other son responds, “hmmm, maybe we should make sure it isn’t a buck.”
  2. Your children might be farm kids if your 6 year old announces to visitors that the cow isn’t a bull any longer because he got castrated.
  3. Your children might be farm kids if their spelling words are polyculture, poultry, compost, manure, horticulture.
  4. Your children might be farm kids if you ask your 4 year old what he is drawing and he says, “Cow patties, mom!”

These are a few recent signs we had that our children where definitely farm kids.  There have been many others over the years.

How about yours?  Any indications that your children (or you) grew up on a farm?

• Tracy says:

Well, my husband always gets a good laugh about how you the saying “going to clean your clock” ? Well I and alot of the people where I grew up in a rural area…..we all grew up saying “going to clean your plow”. lol.
    Our children do have some interesting conversations that I’m sure would puzzle children who don’t live in our environment. Most children look puzzled that my children affectionately refer to our hog as Porky…..but really they are just affectionate about the upcoming bacon.

• Tracy says:

I meant to say how “how you know the saying”. Two sick children and my brain and fingers aren’t coordinating this morning. 🙂

• Carmen says:

Our kiddos get some odd looks from “city kids” when they talk about the chickens and our goats. One common question they get is “how can you have eggs if you don’t have a rooster?”! Ha!!

• Melinda says:

Well, when we were kids, we would find sticks to draw IN cow patties!

• Jackie says:

Some little friend says ‘aren’t the lambs cute?’ and child answers ‘yes, and really really tasty.’

• Ashley says:

I found your blog by lucky accident and I’m glad I did!
    Our oldest son could start the four-wheeler when he was 18 mos. (Luckily he still can’t reach the gears!)
    He tries to milk anything with four legs, including dogs.
    We took him to a Farm Day along with one of our milk cows for a field trip for kindergartners when he was two. I overheard one of the kids tell another, “You gotta come see this little kid who can milk a cow!”
    He’s pretty rough with his toys, but you’ve never seen someone more careful with an egg.
    Both our boys learn counting by counting the cows as they come into the milk parlor.
    Some older gentlemen in our church were talking about their Navy days and one of the little kids (who was 5 at the time) announced to them that he and his dad were going to go get semen (they’d been talking about sea-men) after lunch. (his dad A.I.’s their pigs)
    My oldest insists on wearing his rubber boots EVERYWHERE – including church. We finally had to distinguish that boots were just for the farm.