Michael Schmidt Acquitted of 19 Raw Milk Charges
In the end, the judge determined that cow shares are outside regulatory oversight based on the following:
- That legislation is subject to a “dynamic” based on cultural, social, and historical factors. In other words, raw milk doesn’t pose the same dangers it might have been seen to pose in the 1930s, when much of Ontario’s dairy legislation was passed.
- That Michael Schmidt wasn’t “marketing” the cow shares. “There was no advertising and sale (of raw milk) to the general public…Cow shares are a legitimate private enterprise that does not constitute marketing in Ontario.”
- Perhaps most intriguing, that “the people who are permitted to buy the milk are fully informed” via a special booklet, identification cards, regular newsletters, and other steps Michael Schmidt took on behalf of his members. “There is no evidence of any illness” in all the years Michael Schmidt has been distributing raw milk, he observed, and tests by the regulatory authorities never found any evidence of pathogens.
Be sure to check out the complete patient article and others linked below.
- From The Bovine, Michael Schmidt acquitted on all 19 charges — judge takes three hours to render verdict supporting legal basis for raw milk through private cow shares
- The Complete Patient, Huge Victory for Michael Schmidt As Canadian Judge Rules Cow Shares Outside Regulators’ Jurisdiction
- Article from TopUsNews, Justice of the Peace acquits Ontario dairyman in raw milk case
- From Posted Toronto, Michael Schmidt acquitted in raw-milk case