De-Horning Update

So far Chessnut still has horns… although they are loose.  The banding appears to be working as planned, with a couple minor draw backs.  First, she cut milk production by about 20%.  Which makes sense, but not something we had on the radar or we may have waited for this procedure.

Secondly, even with her weakened horns she still has a habit of sticking her head through the fence and getting stuck.  As you can image that is not a good thing.  The first time she about pulled her left horn off before it was ready.  Blood was flowing down the side of her face and it looked pretty bad.

nubian-horns1
Chessnut with a loose left horn leaning towards the center

By the time we researched what to put on it the bleeding had stopped and she seemed to be OK.  Cayenne pepper is suppose to help stop bleeding by the way.  It’s still untested here, but at least it is another trick in the animal care book if you don’t have the regular blood stop powder on hand.  This all happened back on the 18th.  She did get her other horn caught a few days ago, but it was not near as bad.

As of today, one horn is completely laid down on her head and the other is loose.  It appears the bands are working, albeit slow.  If we can keep her out of the fence we may have her all healed up before fly season!

nubian-horns2
Left horn is laying on the back of her head

One disappointing piece of information we figured out and are not sure yet if this is a difference in the breeds or in the age, but our two 1/2 Alpine’s horns are fully connected to the skull.  There is no cartilage space like we found on the Nubian.  This means those instructions about filing the bone down before putting the bands on will apply to these ladies if we decide to go that route.

Leave a Comment