Busy Week

We have been swamped this week.
One day this week the boys took care of a rooster problem we were having.  When roosters interfere with the humans getting sleep around here…they are out of here fast.  Last time it was Craig’s List… this time the freezer.
The great thing about this chicken processing day was 1.) I didn’t have to help.   2.) Having boys big enough to process chickens.
I just wanted everyone to know how great it is to have real farm hands around here!  Way to go boys!
I was especially thankful to have a daughter who detailed the birds the boys brought to her…and readied them for the freezer bag, labeled them and packed them away.  Great job!
I have about 50+ peppers sitting on my kitchen counter the boys found out in our weed garden.  Evidently we have quite a few veggies growing out there amidst the jungle.  Next spring we hope to do better on the garden!  We have some exciting news in regards to helping that front…some new additions to the farm that we will be announcing soon!

• Deanna says:

We will soon have that same rooster problem. How old were yours? Any advice?
    Deanna

• Carmen says:

We aquired some pullets a while back and one turned out to be a rooster. So he’s going back to where he came (a friend) but we are getting 4 new pullets that are barred rock. Love them! They are so pretty!
    Sounds great to have such helpers with the chores! Way to go kiddos!
    Our garden is less than desirable, too. Our tomatoes did well. The rest…no so well. We didn’t plant any decorative gourds yet some of those came up. Go figure!
    Have a great week!
    Carmen

I would have to ask the boys how old the roosters were…???
    I put a “free roosters” ad in craigs list and had lots of people contacting me for them—I could have sold them actually and we might do that next time.

yes… we ordered a large amount of chicks (white leghorn HENS)and we had a couple grow up to be roosters too—

I like the look of the barred rocks too…. We have a bunch of white leghorns roaming (still working on their hoop house) our yard…. they are very flighty, jumpy birds so catching a view of them out of the corner of your eye it reminds me of white plastic grocery sacks blowing in the wind???? I prefer birds with some earthy colors.

• Deanna says:

I have Rhode Island Reds. By mistake the hatchery sent me 24 Standard Run. To make up for the mistake they sent me 15 Hens. We have 34 of these still running around. None were sick this time just strange accidents. (One actually hung him/herself) I have sold 8 Hens (paid for the order :)))) I would like to try putting the extra roosters in the freezer. My boys don’t sound as brave as yours. They will need Dad’s help. Love the look of my beautiful Red Hens (1 year old) running around. Leghorns are so practical though- oh well sacrficing a little beauty for practicality never hurt. Craigslist has proven to be a good method also for us to sell extra chickens.