Few Topics Fire Up like Feminism

As someone who writes occasionally on the topics of feminism, I can tell you that few subjects lite the back end of the firecracker like feminism.  Whenever I write an article or publish something relating to feminism or the roles of women, I just brace myself for the firing squad.  The wonderful thing about this firing squad is they don’t have real bullets…

We take a hard line stand on feminism because we believe that is one of the top major battles in our day.

Martin Luther said:

If I profess, with the loudest voice and clearest exposition, every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at that moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages there the loyalty of the soldier is proved, and to be steady on all the battle fields besides is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point.

I have followed the rise of feminism over the years and have learned many interesting things.  One being is that it is infective, potent and extremely deceptive.  I have had much exposure to many flaming feminist extremist and could spot them a mile away.  My family was very active in pro-life work so I grew up seeing the liberal of the liberals.  I always tried to figure them out.  I remember the first time I saw a male feminist screaming at the top of his lungs and holding a hot pink Feminist Majority sign.  I remember looking at that man trying to figure out what in the world was wrong with him…he’s a man…screaming that he’s a feminist…waving a hot pink sign…out on a public street corner.

At that point, I had always assumed those who embraced feminism were those exaggeratedly masculine looking females who ran abortion clinics.  That day, my view of the stereotypical feminist changed.  I have since learned that feminism parades around in all different shapes and sizes.  As the Church further falls in to apathy and slumber, the fruits of feminism become all the more apparent even in the church pew.

Feminism has invaded and infected our culture like a rabid disease.  Feminism has hooked women on the lie…the same lie the serpent hit Eve with in the Garden.  The lie of humanism.  The lie of “Hath God really said?”  The lie that you can be as God, deciding what is good and evil in your own eyes.   Feminism has gripped a hold of manhood and squeezed the man right out of him.  Feminism had mocked strong male leadership and declared it as oppressive.  Feminism has declared my rights, my body and my choice.  Feminism enslaves the very ones it has promised to free.  Feminism has exchanged truth for a lie.

While feminism in the Church may not look like the stereotypical feminist image most see in the liberal extreme, the lies of feminism are still very much alive in the Church.  And just because feminism in Christian circles may be seen as less brutal, doesn’t mean that it isn’t still the same brutal, rabid disease with serious consequences.   In fact,  so called “christian feminism” is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and is a blasphemous misrepresentation of the true liberty Christ gives to His children.  Feminism can never be Christianized.  The two are entirely different roads.

While Roe v. Wade is a horrid symptom of the major ills in our society, it is not the root cause.  Many early feminists, like Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony and Alice Stokes Paul, were also pro-life.  Many early American feminist spoke out against abortion.  And get this…..They all wore long skirts and dresses!

Just because they dressed more modestly than the average Christian today or the fact that they deplored abortion or the fact that some had more than 1.2 children did not make the feminism they fought for good.  The early feminist were anti-God because they spewed forth a venomous egalitarian “theology” defying God’s design and order.  And that defiance has led to all sorts of evil that is still wrecking our homes, churches and nation.

There is nothing like the first female vice president nomination to quickly stir up the waters in Christian circles.  She claims to be a Christian.  She claims to be pro-family…. and a feminist.  She is pro-life and of that I can certainly agree with her on Biblical convictions on life in the womb.  But this whole ordeal isn’t about picking on one person.  In fact, the Republican and Democratic presidential races are just a picture highlighting just how impotent American Christianity has become in the last 100 to 150 years.  The fact that Christians at large are swooning over a mother of 5 who happens to have some conservative politics and is quick to place her in as 2nd in command says something about where we are as a nation…and as a Church.  This is not a personal attack on Mrs. Palin–It is very much about addressing,  like Luther said,  the “little point that the world and the devil are attacking.”

And that little point is huge in the future of reforming this Nation.

180px-cleveland_anthony_umbrella.jpg

• Kat says:

I’ve been giving this issue a lot of thought over the past year, but never so much as this past week. The question I struggle with is this: Why did God let Deborah and other women be a prohetess? That seems to be a leadership position of great import. She lead as a judge? Obviously it was a shame to the men being conquered, yet God seemed to allow this. Is it possible that things have decayed so much here that He is willing to allow that again, in order to work His good? Paul did not want women in leadership – he didn’t even want to hear them in group gatherings. (I bet that this is not upheld in even the most strictly conservative of churches.) Is that what God intended, or did he allow Paul this attitude? Women were in prominence several places in the Bible. Even the Proverbs 31 woman seemed to run a profitable business, which takes time and attention, making linen garments and sashes. If she had orders to fill, it could be possible that she didn’t have as much time to spend with her children, unless they were working with her. Obviously that won’t be the case with Mrs. Palin’s kids.

I’m very disturbed about the conflict of interest with her having children at home. They won’t have a mother when they need one, much of the time. She will have so many meetings to prepare for and attend, not to mention a lot of travel.

If women are to be a help meet to their men, is it possible that God called her man to change some things in politics and taking care of the kids more and having her be in the leadership position is a part of what God intended for them? Men used to take their boys as young as they could walk or have enough stamina to last the day. But she has a young daughter …

Even as I try to work this out, I could go either way, including Bible verses. I tend to lean toward the right in feeling that she should be taking care of her children personally. Then again, if God has called her to this, then I’m in the grave error of judging what God has set in place.

I appreciate your log and have enjoyed reading here. I posted to ask questions. I’m not in any way demeaning any of your thoughts or judging you. I hope to hear some responses that help me to sort it out.

• gnipgnat says:

Awesome post! You are MY kind of woman! I’ve had my share of arrows shot my direction for being anti-feminist…all from Christian friends and family. Sigh. They’ll all be so bummed once we get to heaven and HAVE to do things God’s way, poor souls.

BTW, I LOVE your little survey on the side. Of course I voted for the apron. I love a good sense of humor!

• Kat says:

I’m so very glad that I came here. This whole issue has been weighing heavily on me all day. In posting my long comment, I saw and followed some links out and have read some of the scripture wars going on over this topic on other blogs that have been very helpful. I’ve come to the conclusion that while voting is a “civic duty,” God does not require this of me and I will abstain. I don’t know that anyone is good enough to get elected, but … that’s a whole ‘nother topic! Thanks for being bold about the truth.

• Collin says:

Bulletless firing squads or not, thank you for speaking the truth with boldness and conviction. As usual, you get a hearty AMEN from me!

Kat… you might find some of these articles great–check out Voddie Baucham’s blog, Scott Brown’s Blog and the compilation post over at Vision Forum— Of, course the LAF site is full of great articles the last couple of days….. EliandCami –have a lot of good articles on their blog too. There are others that this too is weighing on and I have enjoyed hearing these other voices on the subject at hand. I’ll post direct links to these sites in a blog post soon for others to see.

Kat… I also have some things we are going to publish about the myth of the 4 walls only belief –(you know the one about woman never stepping outside the 4 walls of their home) This is obviously not what we believe…. so that should clear up some things.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject…

• buriedtreasure says:

Thank you so much for writing this…feminism in every form is a rebellion against God’s created order, not to be embraced by God’s people in any way. Blessings, Carmon

• Jennifer W says:

I really must take issue with this.

I came here from the Noble Womanhood website.

Initially, I was very interested in seeing such a different point of view. I found it refreshing to see focus being placed on the domestic world, which doesn’t get the respect it deserves. Yes, women can be such a blessing and such an asset to their homes and to society when allowed to perform civic duties and have a very hands-on involvement with their children. I have been so impressed by the ingenuity and discipline with which these women advise us to run our homes.

Nevertheless, after watching these eruptions over Sarah Palin, I feel disappointed. Not everybody can live an idyllic existence on a farm, existing on revenue from livestock and produce. Go to the inner city, and tell the single mom who has had her child taken away by CPS and is a recovering crack addict and prostitute that by practicing “feminism”-that is, learning job skills and trying to put herself back on her feet with the help of a loving group of women at church who are teaching her how to conduct herself at a job interview-that she is removing herself from God.

The reality is, a lot of women all over the world do not have men to care for them, or perhaps have men who are abusive. Enabling them to provide for themselves is not a sin.

After awhile, reading all of this advice leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Some people have had rough lives. Putting shame on women who don’t dress the right way, do their hair the right way or who have to work outside of the home as the ONLY breadwinner seems like what Jesus pointed out to the Pharisees: you pile all of these rules on people without lifting a finger to help.

I would rather see more articles of an encouraging nature. Having a servant’s heart towards your family is a good thing. Alienating people for not living their lives in a way that is the “right way,” is wrong.

• vikki says:

You are so right about people’s reactions once you attempt this discussion. I have friends who claim to be Christians who aren’t behaving very “Christian” at the moment. 🙂 I guess it just surprises me how these people still hold blinders over their eyes even as you provide them with the scriptures to prove the point. I keep hearing that they are voting for the “lesser of the two evils” or that “not voting or voting for a third party candidate is a vote for Obama”. I guess principles have no place any longer…

• Mrs.Hudson says:

I agree that there are many people out there who would like to shut down this discussion–from both sides of the fence. Feminists don’t want to hear that a stay-at-home Christian wife and mother is anything more than a brainwashed doormat. To be fair, though, there are plenty of SAH Christian ladies who turn up their noses at a working woman and think, “Hmph! Feminist!” I think the important thing is that we read God’s Word–all of it–embracing both the passages that tell us that men and women are different and those that tell us not to judge.

For one thing, I do not think that all feminism (particularly the from the first wave) was evil. Did Elizabeth Cady Stanton have some less-than-biblical things to say about wanting to get out and live her own life the way that her husband could while she was stuck at home saddled with kids and cooking? Of course! But, what about fighting for the rights of women who HAD to work? What about those poor single women (widows, the abandoned) who were sufferring 16 hours a day in factories just to maintain a flea-ridden tenement apartment to keep a roof over their children’s heads and bread on the table? I know, I know. The church is supposed to take care of them. I agree. But, a lot of time, the church is silent to the people who need them most. Women like Susan B. Anthony made it possible for those poor mothers to provide for their children and take better care of them.

My grandmother had three children and was pregnant with a fourth when she was abandoned by her alcoholic husband. After giving birth to my mother, she had to leave her babies with a relative so that she could go to a larger town where they would employ a woman, so that she could feed her kids. She later remarried and had 2 more children. Even with her new husband, though, she still had to work. My grandmother was no feminist. But, feminists are the reason that she and her children did not starve to death. I am grateful to them.

Blessings,
    Bethany

• PaulTN says:

Mrs. Hudson:

I appreciate your experience on this subject. I would however disagree that old feminism can be “good” while new feminism is “bad”. All fruit springs from the same root. Feminism was evil from the garden of Eden forward, because as the Bible says, it blasphemes the Word of God.

I think the distinction here is twofold. One, Biblically speaking a single woman could always work from her home and sell her goods in the public market. In such a manner she could support herself and her children. This is not a different standard from the Proverbs 31 women.

You can see an example of how this works evidenced by the book listed on our side bar, Passionate Housewives desperate for God. It was written by two mothers from home, but sold in the public market.

My wife’s grandmother was abandoned with 8 children at home. She did not stick them in day care and run off to the workforce where the men were. She found many ways to support her family by working with them in the home. BTW, this is not just for the women, there are many men today looking for a way to work from home to be close to their family.

This brings up the second point. The industrial revolution changed things. There is an entirely different set of challenges we need to discuss to work through all the ramifications for both men and women. The bottom line is the Bible did not change simply because we have an industrial workforce. The principles and practices for Christians are the same.

We have more articles coming to address the issue of a women within her four walls, and the industrial effect on family life… Thanks for your comments.

• PaulTN says:

Jennifer W, please see the following for a more detailed discussion.

• Vera says:

The early feminists were not that radical though. They just wanted equal property rights, voting rights, and an equal chance at an education. I don’t think Palin should be VP. Go to Ladies Against Feminism and look at the FAQs. Biblically a woman should own her own property and it doesn’t say women shouldn’t get an education. Women should try to stay at home but her husband may be sick, laid off, or they just can’t live off two incomes for whatever reason.

LAF does have a huge resource–and I highly recommend it. Vera mentioned women being educated, owning property, running businesses —here is the link to the LAF FAQ she was talking about.
    Feminism would have us believe that women were so oppressed before they came along and “freed” them–however, the feminist rebellion far from freed women—and in its wake destroyed family life.
    I would have to say that the early feminists were radical…now granted —they didn’t look like the raging feminist today…however, what they “fought” for was at the core going against Christianity.
    There is so much that could be said but I will have to wait and post some thoughts later.
    Christianity isn’t anti-woman…..and it isn’t about enslaving women to only the 4 walls of her house. It is only a myth and deception that causes us to think that feminism did us any good—