Still Sleepless in Tennessee…6 weeks

Here’s my 6 week pondering moment:
I find it so amazing that such a little guy can alter the course of someone else’s life (me and daddy) in the way he does.  No matter how hard it seems at times and how overwhelmed I get, the truth of the matter is:  I love being a mom.  I love newborns.  One of my favorite things to do is to let him sleep on my chest and just feel him sleep.  He curls up into a ball.  I can almost imagine him being back in my belly, but ohh how big he has grown!  I love hearing him breath but more than that, I love knowing his breathing patterns and what they mean.  I love his smell and his soft skin.  I love touching his baby fine hair and staring into his face.  I love seeing milk dribble out of his little mouth and feel proud he has baby rolls.  I crack up when he smiles or giggles in his sleep.  I wonder what he is dreaming.
Time is flying by so incredible fast.  In some ways, I just want to hit the pause button and remain frozen in this moment.  I know this time in my life is such a brief moment in the span of all of history.  Baby having days are few compared to the sum total of life and I fear they will vanish far too quickly.  Yet, life and time march on and stop for no man.  That one thing is for sure.  The wonderful promise, though, is that soaking in these moments makes a lifetime full of glorious memories and victories that also continue on for those who will stop to smell the roses in life’s garden.

moprov4wks31.jpg

• Carmen says:

Oh I know what you mean. Our little one is two months old already and time just flies by so quickly. Where is that pause button?
    Congratulations on your new little one!
    Hugs,
    Carmen

• Rileymom says:

Joy. That’s the word I used yesterday to describe our time with Josiah. Our new little guy is 10 weeks now & came home a month ago. Where does the time go?
    Congratulations! He’s beautiful.
    Christy Riley
    (down the road in Mississippi)

• Meredith_in_Aus says:

Hi Beth
    Oh, how the time flies! I love those newborn days, too. I love their hairy little backs and how the Cupid’s bow on their little lips peel every couple of days (among many other things, including those you mentioned).
    Thanks for the homebirth tips in reply to the last time I posted.
    (Continue to) Enjoy your little fella.
    In Him
    Meredith
    (from across the sea)

• A Buzbee says:

I have so enjoyed reading your blog. I have a 4 month old (and a 26 month old, both boys). The title of this blog was “Still Sleepless in TN 6 Weeks”, and in a previous blog you mentioned that this little guy had you walking the floors at night. If you have a chance, could you resond, or blog perhaps, on how you handle (endure?) small amounts of sleep and restless infants? As a mom of 2 boys, who neither one have liked to sleep, I am eager to know how mom’s of multiple children (which I hope to be) cope. Do you attempt to create any type of a sleep routine? If so, when? How? I apologize for so many questions, but I frequent several blog sites of moms with many children, and have yet to find a post on “coping” with restless infants and sleepless nights. Thank you for anything you can offer.

• PaulTN says:

I bet some of these mother’s have some great wisdom to share about this topic. But as a father I can give you my maxim I have adopted since our first child was born 12 1/2 years ago.
    “Sleep is over-rated” 🙂

• A Buzbee says:

Paul,
    I am beginning to think that! Funny, I used to think that I absolutely had to have 8 hours of sleep to function, and now I find myself doing pretty well on 4-6 hours. Perhaps God’s grace can even extend into that forbidden fortress of sleep depriviation and make us holy people there, too.

great idea…yes i do have a few things we have done to minimize or at least put the sleep deprivation into perspective a bit…
    i will add that soon–

Congratulations Rileys on little Josiah– soon we will have to get together again!

Congrats Carmen on your new little one 😉
    and great newborn idiosyncrasies Meredith– I love those too–

• Lydia says:

What a great reminder of the blessing of children! The world tells us they are a hinderence. Such joy is found in the simplicity of enjoying the goodness of our Great God and King and the many blessings He sends our way. Your article made me sigh and almost cry because I am out of the child-bearing years and yet I have SOO much to be thankful for and what precious memories to hold on to. God is most definately Good!
    God-Bless you and your family. Enjoy EVERY moment, for our life truly is but a vapor!
    Congratulations Beth!
    Lydia in NM

• eliandcami says:

What a sweet post!
    Congratulations!
    Camelia

• First i would like to say how thankful I am to have found your blog. I have learned quite a bit! Living on a self sustaining farm is a dream of my husband and mine so watching y’all learn has given me hope! I have a question that i am going to ask in reply here even though it doesn’t really have much to do with your post! I am about 6 weeks pregnant with our second child and prior to this I had really been thinking about raw cows milk. We have a provider near us who is state certified and I know I could trust. But now that I am pregnant the whole no raw milk or lunch meat i have been at a standstill on a decision. So all that to say, did you drink raw milk while you were pregnant and/or do you have any good sources on the subject.
    Thanks and God Bless,
    Leah

• sarahb says:

Paul & Bethany what a beautiful family and life. Congratulations on the new blessing.
    I am so thrilled to have come across your site
    and so inspired by your life.
    -sarah
    (your cousin in tx)

Howdy Sarah!! Glad you came across our site… Hope all is well in Tx…

Hi Camelia–I just realized you posted on our blog— Your little one is getting so big!!! Wow..that time flew by…it seems like yesterday the Zes girls were telling me about going to help you out when he was born!

• Miss Mary says:

beautiful photo. I remember those days, I don’t need a pause button, I need a replay button, to go back and relive those days. The best time in my life. Whe my babies were small. I’d do it all over again and then some 😉 in a heartbeat..
    God Bless you and yours.