More information than you probably want to know…

This upcoming week is going to be a busy week for our family –actually, the next 3 weeks.  We will be preparing to move to our farm and as you can imagine, this long awaited moment, is producing great amounts of joy and anticipation from the oldest to the…well…next to youngest.
Yesterday, we spent a large portion of the day out at the farm visiting with previous owners.  It was a cool, rainy day, yet the guys were able to learn how to drive the tractor and check out other things on the land.  We learned more about the house and spent some time getting to know some of the animals — for those of you who do not know, our animal ownership more than doubles — which is causing quite a stir around here from the children who have been discussing who is taking care of what animals.  The girls want to be the goat, garden and flower farmers, the older boys want to be the cow and chicken farmers.  The 6 year also wants to be a dog farmer (ha!ha!).  The 4 year old is insistent that he is going to be the pig farmer –which is fine with everyone since we don’t even have pigs.  The 2 1/2 year old argues with everyone every time they mention an animal by saying, “NOOO, ME! I do it!”, which is all the more funny when you know that she is terrified of the animals anyway.  My oldest son’s solution was, “We just need more children, because we have enough work for more helpers to be involved.”  All the children agreed with their oldest brother’s solution with a unison verbal agreement and the nod their heads.  I kept working on breakfast for an army and enjoyed listening to their planning talk over the kitchen table while they were waiting on breakfast.
Yesterday, I took home some “how to” milk goat information and just finished reading a book entitled, “Raising Milk Goats The Modern Way”.  While I learned a wealth of information that I am sure multiplied my brain cells, or maybe fried them out???, I learned a slew of information that had me making out loud groans and moans along with detailed facial grimaces and contortions.  Believe me, I had no idea!
I can officially say that I have the book knowledge on how to disbud a goat and can tell you in detail how to castrate a buck;  the burdizzo method, the good ol’ fashion sharp knife method or the handy elastrator tool method.  You pick method, all can be done at the family farm!  You may grimace at that, but you should have read the book!  Coincidently enough, I became first hand acquainted with the metal elastrator tool the day before I read the book — the previous owners were kind enough to leave a box of useful and necessary farm supplies for us!  For that we are sincerely thankful for their help in our transition, I just realized that my “country girl” skin isn’t thick enough yet!  I expect that to change very soon, since I am married to a husband that can do anything and who believes in giving me the opportunity to do things that I don’t want to!

Back to the book:  More interesting to me, was the actual information on the milking part of raising dairy goats.  Being a breastfeeding mom, I was, as first, becoming a bit concerned on how much I could relate to the information being presented.  Engorgement, let-down, supply and demand, regular milking, problems such as mastitis….sounds familiar right??? I am actually very excited on learning about these milk goats and how to use the milk for our family.
As we busy ourselves with connecting loose ends here, we will soon be back up and running…although running a bit differently.
For now, your irregular and sporadic blogger friend who confuses her readers with her wide rage of non-related post topics….

I love your blogs, whether they relate to me or not. Your hilarious personality comes out in each one. Side note: I planted some mint seeds yesterday… we shall see…. No one seems to sell the plant??
    Can’t wait to bring the kids up there to see your new digs!

** chanting ** MORE KIDS PICTURES MORE KIDS PICTURES MORE KIDS PICTURES!!!! 😉 [in your spare time that is, lol]

• Monica says:

I have been eagerly following your blog for several weeks, and just wanted to wish you well on your move. Your family is living my families dream of having a farm, although we will probably have a smaller one:) if and when the Lord sees fit!
    I am impressed with your couponing abilities as well and have just in the last week recieved my first batch of coupons from the Coupon Clippers. So far nothing free and no real impressive deals. So keep sharing as I learn! I also love your stocked pantry idea. I am working on building some stock!
    Monica

• Charlotte says:

I love to hear about all that goes on in your family! I can’t wait to see more pics of the farm and your children taking care of the animals!

I have a lot of pictures..just short on time. I will post some soon.
    We had a interesting experience yesterday…. we visited our neighbor to pick up two of our goats he had been keeping for us. He raises Dorper sheep and so the goats were in a pasture with the rams and some other goats of his. We drove up, arranged the goat carrying crate so we could secure the goats once we caught them….and then watched this amazing farmer round up and separate out our two goats from the crowd with a sheep dog. If you have ever seen BABE — that is what it was like… This dog was amazing and responded impressively to the voice of his master.
    All that to say, I forgot my camera and was wishing I had a video of that!

• Mama Bess says:

Congratulations on the new farm- what a blessing. My sister told me about your website. It is really interesting. You remind me of Tasha Tudor, the children’s artist. She values country living in the exact same manner as you. She was born in 1915. When she was only 16 yrs old, she worked an entire summer and saved her money to buy– guess what? A cow. Think of what most sixteen yr olds save their money to buy these days.
    It was the first step towards her dream to live and raise a family on a farm. She was born in Boston, but dreamed of having a farm in Vermont. After years of hard work, she and her husband bought a farm and raised their children on it without electricty or running water… by choice. Tasha spinned her own yarn and weaved her own linens… in addition to raising livestock… and children… chopping wood for winter… gardening in summer… making her own candles… how she found the time to create beautiful artwork I’ll never know.
    By the way, do you know what she named her first cow? Bethany! Also the name of her firstborn daughter because that is her favorite girl’s name. She is a rare and gifted woman in the domestic arts and historical cooking practices… She roasts her Thanksgiving turkey in the fireplace even to this day and she is 90 years old. She credits her longevity and excellent health to simple country living and drinking goat’s milk.
    Her children and grandchildren are involved in her farm even today. Her son Seth built her timberframe farm home by hand- NO POWER TOOLS. They write little “tea stories” about her and I loved this one… especially her Easter cross buns she made for Holy Week: http://www.tashatudorandfamily.com/tea_room.htm
    Blessings upon your family and your new home, Mama Bess
    “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has always imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” Henry David Thoreau

• Mama Bess says:

PS:
    I forgot to mention that Tasha Tudor’s daughter, Bethany, wrote a great book about her mother called “Drawn from New England”… it has some great photos of her farm and livestock.