Unique Clothing

I recently read about a woman who created her own line of clothing she characterizes as “beautiful clothes for every day.” She states,

“Some of my favorite dresses are those that truly look as if you just rolled in off the farm. I love mixing ….layer cotton dresses with silky slips, tough denim, textured stockings, stripes, dots, florals. It can all work gracefully together.”

She launched a line of unique clothing inspired from the 1930’s and 40’s farm dresses. I would personally put some more layers on some of her outfits for the sake of modesty, but I love the idea of unique feminine dress, beautiful fabrics and creative layering of vintage styles that are not tied to an ever changing style. The creative idea of expressing femininity and personal creativity is intriguing to me.
I find something very freeing in not caring about today’s high maintenance fashion industry. After all, we only have one life to live and why waste that time following a fashion empire and their agenda? I have come to the conviction, that clothing is to be first a reflection of distinct femininity and modesty as well as your own creative expression without caring about what the world thinks.

• Carey says:

Could you post the web address of this company so I can see more of her dresses? Thanks

Click on the picture and it will take you to one of Kara’s sites. Here is another site she has http://www.kara-line.com – I want to make it clear though that many outfits she has are not what I consider modest. What I was intrigued with most about Kara was her creativity and desire to not look grungy and to be different. I was also inspired by her perceptiveness that the modern fashion industry is designed around a trendy, limited wear trap. She wants to promote creative, timeless wear that doesn’t follow fashion must haves/ins and outs. In many ways April Cornell is similar with the overall style being timeless feminine focused wear.
    She uses a lot of wrap style dresses and tops of which can be layered with other tee’s and long sleeve tees. Her skirts are also layered.. and is a big fan of all kinds of slips.

• Carey says:

Thanks Bethany, I can’t afford to buy things like this anyway, and have had trouble finding modest clothing that’s pretty, so, I’ve been learning to sew my own. These are very inspiring!

yeah……i wouldn’t pay $150 for a shirt! I loved the idea though and have fun looking for interesting finds at thrift stores….
    The layering idea is unique — and I love the idea of different slips

The teacher at bible study today quoted something and it made me think of this blog post.

She said something to the effect of: Modern day fashions are not designed to encourage spiritual growth in others. Modern day fashions are designed to tempt, tease and taunt. Christians have no business wearing anything that might even cause another to be tempted to sin.

I’ll have to get the exact quote b/c it was SO GOOD.

That is very true but we must also be careful that we don’t become frumpy and dowdy jumper wearers.
    Feminine dressing can be beautiful and flattering!

hmm.. here are some of my thoughts….
    While I personally do not wear jumpers…… I know many mothers who do and would be characterized as “jumper moms” and I think they have been given a bad rap. I think plain and simple have become so scrutinized by the fashion industry that seeing a mom in a jumper is automatically labeled.
    Lots of moms love jumpers because of the simplicity and comfort. My mom wore jumpers a lot when we were growing up. She didn’t care about fashion and still doesn’t.
    While I agree that feminine dressing is beautiful —I would not say that some of the fashionable feminine dressing these days is flattering in a good sort of way. I am just getting tired of the showing off of too much, seeing too much all in the name of fashion — I think we need to guard ourselves against following a fashion industry that has been slowing desensitizing us to accept things, when Christians should not accept.
    While I do like beautiful clothing, I do have practical clothing that is functional for my job. I don’t believe in dressing sloppy and i am not saying we shouldn’t care about what we wear because it doesn’t matter—- I am just saying that a lot of time, effort and money is being spent on following a fashion industry that I believe is just basically evil—-
    I am all for unique, creative, independent dress that isn’t dependant on seasonal fashion whims— God made us individuals with different tastes and likes and the freedom to express those likes within His parameters. He didn’t make us to follow in herds after ideas and empires that seek to declothe man and make us discontent with what we have. While the fashion industry may have some nice things…the overall industry is corrupt and does not have a biblical worldview.
    This whole fashion topic has been stirring me for a while….just thought I would post some of my conclusions. Part of it from having to look for decent clothing for some of my children and myself and being shocked at the complete worship of “Trendy” Fashion— whatever happened to normal clothes.
    this winter– I don’t care if my boots have a wedged, thick, skinny or flat heel. I don’t care if the toe of my shoes are pointed, round, or square— I have better things to do with my time than to worry with if my boots I bought 3 years ago are terribly out of style now– who cares– they are still functional and I like them. Our society is such a instant gratification based society that instead it seems that the focus of modern man is on the outward appearance in a way that wasn’t as prevalent in past times. (although self focus has always been a problem) People use to be content with having a jacket or one pair of boots– our modern society says we need to update our clothing regularly, not because it is worn out, but because it is deemed “out of style” by some fashion standard that is schizophrenic to begin with.
    Other thoughts???
    i want to make it clear— I am not bashing looking nice— I believe in that…..

I don’t really know that many women that are fashion obsessed. I do think it is fun to buy new things when mine are worn out or don’t fit right due to having children and being bigger or having lost the weight. Most of the women I know think fashion is fun and just enjoy it when it fits into their lives. For this to get to an unhealthy level I think you need to be either raised that way or have gobs and gobs of money and not know what to do with it. Truly there are scads of women where fashion is too high a priority and money goes that way too often. I guess I just don’t know them personally. Fashion is especially fun with my little children who grow to new heights almost every season and thank goodness there are ways to have fun with it on the cheap! πŸ™‚

P.S. I knew I should have clarified my jumper comment. I was referring to women who don’t take the time [however little] to keep themselves looking nice. Such as women who would just schlump about in anything, aka sweats or old jumpers. My idea was that it would be the complete opposite of being obsessed with fashion, to the point where one just doesn’t even try to look pretty for husbands or whatnot. I was not meaning to refer to jumpers as the axis of evil, just using them as a catch all for the attitude of letting oneself go.

>>buy new things when mine are worn out or don’t fit right due to having children and being bigger or having lost the weight<<< Sarah..you hit on something big....as a mommy, our wardrobe can change within a matter of months--or weeks, just based on our ever changes sizes πŸ˜‰ --I look in my closet and have a range of sizes as well as a storage bucket with maternity clothing.

i knew what you meant…. I agree with avoiding the schlump trap….and not leaving ones self to the elements πŸ˜‰
    Getting up in the morning and getting dressed does wonders for how your day goes even if you are at home with little ones…. now that doesn’t always happen as I am sure we have all found ourselves in pjs at noon.

Yeah, I have my “too big bucket” in my closet. Its so much more fun than when it is full of things that are too small for me. Your way of putting that “leaving ones self to the elements” made me crack up. So Hall-ish and so true. That is the most clever way I have heard anyone put it. lol.

Okay, seriously… one last comment. I think it really is true that “fashionista” type fashion people are schizophrenic b/c it seems like the really trendy jeans [aka, audrey hepburn cigarette pants] are only brought back after they have been completely trounced out. When the industry is ABSOLUTELY SURE that these most unflattering of all pants are totally gone, it MUST be time to bring it back. Regardless that it doesn’t flatter anyone other that a six foot tall toothpick. That is the kind of fashion that drives me nuts. That is why if I crave something trendy it is so much safer [and WAY cheaper] to buy trendy accesories. I really have tried to find a pointy toe shoe that I like, and I have a pair or two that is almost pointy toe but the true pointy toe shoes either come off looking elfin to me or like a demented she-ra weapon of some kind. Yeah, I am rambling now. Talk to you guys later!!!
    Side note: Miriam told me there has been a pumpkin shortage this year, so harvest a few more wild ones from the woods and you guys could make some serious cash. And I’ll go into the woods by my house and harvest… umm… hmm… rocks? shotgun shells? mesquite wood???

Personally I hate jumpers because I’m an apple shaped body and jumpers make me look like a big tube of toothapaste. Skinny on top and bottom (heads and feet) round and squishy in the middle.

πŸ™‚ How ya like that imagery!?!

I think we need to remember that our likes and tastes are not others. We have our own creative or not-so-creative “style”. Eventhough I do not like 80’s boots or Ma Ingalls dresses…that doesn’t make the other person who likes them “wrong”.
    I was more drawing the line between the year to year fashion swings. Flat toe in one season, pointy toe in next season. To me…that is so futile and shallow? Though I have flat toe shoes, round toe shoes and pointy shoes…I don’t mearly throw out something just becasue someone said to.
    I have friends who dress completely different….including Amish and plain people…and find that their clothing…though not what I wear…isn’t a big deal. What matters is the heart? I know many who have a heart to serve God.
    What bothers me more is the half clothed “Christian”!

• Sally says:

I have to say, it doesn’t really bother me what other people wear unless it’s very apparently imodest – ie, skirts that should be bandannas, shirts so low that they might as well not be wearing one, shirts (or hats or whatever…), with crude things written on them, and guys who have yet to figure out that belts were invented so we don’t have to see their grimey underwear.
    And yes, I realize that everyone has their own definition of what is or isn’t modest, but to me, I don’t want to see what you’d like in lingerie, so don’t wear things that show as much in public – leave it in the bedroom.
    Other than that, I don’t really care. You want to wear a fanny pack, because it’s practical? Go for it! Guys out there still like wearing those braided belts with the end tucked through and down? More power to you!
    I won’t think any less of you…although, I might chuckle a little to myself. πŸ˜‰
    And as for the self dubbed “fashionistas” – I feel the same way. If they want to spend all their moeny on the latest trend that will be out of style before they even leave the store with it – hey, it’s thier money! I’d much rather save up for vacations and date nights with my hubby, but that’s my life, not theirs.
    I know those girls who record every single fashion show on tv, subscribe to “W” magazine and spend thier days roaming the malls looking for the latest “it” thing. And those girls are usually just trying to fill another void.
    So I don’t let them get to me…besides, why would I want to wear something that EVERY ONE else is wearing?? I hated uniforms in school and I still detest them.
    If I think it looks good on me and I like it, then I go for it. That may be a latest trend or it may be an 80’s throw back, but if I like it and it’s not hideous (thank God for best friends who tactfully tell the truth πŸ˜‰ ) or indecent (and I leave that up to the judgement of my husband…if some other turkey makes a comment, he can take it up with my man) then I say it’s in style. oh! And I agree with Sarah, cheap, costume jewerly is the best way to update your wardrobe, no matter your style!
    Ok, I’m done writing this book now…
    Thanks for letting my join in πŸ˜‰

• Sally says:

ps – I use to work with some girls where upon first seeing them, I immeaditely thought “hussy!” because of the length (or lack of) of their skirts or dresses…then once I got to know them, I found that they honestly didn’t know any better. They had parents who didn’t care what they wore and they really thought that their miniskirts and t-shirt length dresses were work appropriate – they called it their “grown-up clothes”…they left their “weekend” clothes at home!
    But with some tactful, loving, non-judgemental comments (made in private, not in a joking manner in front of people…I hate that!), tips and group shopping trips, they now dress like real adults – fully-cltohed. πŸ™‚
    You never know…

Random note: wedges are cute I think but some of them I have tried on are heavy over a period of time seem like they might cause knee damage? lol…