Impressive Grocery Savings: more couponing praises

I am hooked!
I have been trying out the grocery game trial period and I am loving it. I saved over $80 last week by using coupons and store sales. My savings equaled more than I spent and I was able to stockpile a few bottles of laundry soap and some boxes of toothpaste as well.
If you have several children, I have a few coupon tips that I have found to be helpful.

1. If you have a large family or you are wanting to build a major stockpile, you need multiple coupon sources. I know of one mom who bought 30 jars of applesauce last week for .50 cents each. Now while the majority of the population would not know what to do with 30 jars of applesauce, I know of 7 children that know exactly what to do with applesauce.
2. Ask neighbors and friends for coupons out of the Sunday paper. I am getting coupon inserts in my mailbox from neighbors.
3. Check out your local newspaper recycling bin for coupons. You can call the paper and ask them where the closest newspaper recycling center is. We hit a jackpot and found lots of coupon inserts. My daughter responded shocked, “MOM, Who would throw away all these tickets!” (She meant coupons!) Today, she asked me when we were going back to the newspaper recycling bin to get more “Cheap-pons”! (No, not cheap-pons…it’s coupons!)

Having multiple coupons allows you to build your stockpile. With one paper, I would not have been able to get 6 boxes of toothpaste or the deals on cereal and laundry soap that I was able to get this last week.
A couple other examples of my savings have been:
I was able to save a great deal on Cheerios. I bought $11.96 worth of cereal for $3.96. Also, today I bought $10.98 worth of laundry soap for $4.98.
The downside:
I have been consumed with grocery budget management this week. If you aren’t into researching and reading about the grocery game system, you would still be able to make an impact with coupons. However, the major impact comes when you can strategically plan purchases around store sales and coupons to synergistically work together to give you a major grocery spending overhaul. While it is true that I would have not bought 6 boxes of toothpaste, extra laundry soap or extra cereal this week normally, the system of strategic grocery shopping by taking advantage of store sales and multiple coupons pays off in the long run.
I have found a boat load of information off the grocery coupon message boards.
Strategic money saving methods of grocery shopping do take some time and planning, but oh, how rewarding it is!
“She is like merchant ships; She brings her food from afar.” “She is not afraid of the snow for her household, For all her household are clothed with scarlet.” “She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.”
Proverbs 31:14,21,27

• Claire Hall says:

How on earth are you doing this? What about the clauses on the coupons that state “cannot be combined with other offers” or “one coupon per customer per visit”?
    What stores are you shopping at? I’ve never been able to find cheaper prices than Wal-mart, even when grocery stores are having sales…except maybe Sam’s. But that’s a different story.
    Also, are you finding coupons for things you normally buy? How? I can find lots of coupons for like Fruit Loops, but I wouldn’t want those even if they were free.
    You’re amazing, you know that?

I’m pretty sure whether you grocery shop with coupons or not that you haven’t eaten the bread of idleness in YEARS and YEARS. 😉
    Your savings sounds awesome! Thanks for the neat makeup coupon.
    Aaron does not think synergy is a real word.
    I CAN’T WAIT to see you guys!!!! Also, I hope you get your new house fixed up soon because Sally agreed to take a road trip with me to come see you guys!!!!!!
    Happy almost birthday to Pierce! I can’t wait to see what “man treasures” we find in Cabelas. 🙂

Well, you can use coupons at Walmart too.
    I am not sure what Walmart’s coupon policy is but you can ask. Sam’s and costco do not take coupons…except what they have in the store flyer.
    I have one store here that is fairly expensive to shop at for all my groceries however, they double coupons up to .50 cents and they accept competitor coupons (like from Kroger or Food Lion–those coupons you get when you checkout.)
    And they have loss leader sales— sales to get people in the door expecting that they will buy the other items. So when you buy the sales with coupons…it ends up being cheaper than the cheap store most of the time.
    You don’t have to have double coupon stores either. The one store that I bought the laundry soap, toothpaste and cereal deals at did not double. I just happen to hit a good store sale and combine that with a coupon. You can do that. You just can’t use 3 diaper coupons on one bag of diapers.
    When I bought the 6 boxes of toothpaste for .94 cents. I had 6 coupons and 6 boxes. You can’t use one coupon for multiple items unless it says buy one get one free or $1 on two etc… Then you would pick up two boxes of cereal and use that one coupon.
    One example of a great deal would be…say canned pineapple was on sale for 10 for $10. (which I like my pineapple cans to be cheaper than a dollar but for the sake of an example…) 10 for $10. If you had 10 coupons each for .50 cents off one can and the store doubled the coupons….you could get 10 cans for free.
    While that is a great deal….most grocery deals are not like that, but it is a possible scenario.
    I hit the recycling bin today and came home with a lot of Sunday paper coupon inserts. I have multiple coupons of the same item so when something goes on sale…I can buy multiple items.
    I have coupons for things I use….but I cut the coupons for most everything now because we are in a “save money” mode. Even though I don’t like White Rain or VO5 shampoo–this item is commonly free using store sales and coupons. I would pick it up if it were free just to have for either the kids shampoo, or washing an animal, or just incase I was out of my shampoo or to donate to the crisis pregnancy center.
    If you use razors, q-tips, toothbrushes, paper plates, toilet paper, trash bags, makeup, cat and dog food, feminine products, dish scrubbers, batteries –each week the coupons are different. This week I noticed that there were more cleaning products.
    we have applesauce, bryers ice cream, cheerios, all-natural-hormone free fresh chicken coupons–. I have lots of canned food type coupons (olives, mushrooms, fruit, tuna) Lots of different kinds of soap from dishwasher soap to shampoo.
    There are coupons for fruit loops, trix yogurt, kool-aid or packaged dinners — but if you don’t eat that sort of food, you wouldn’t bother cutting it out–I don’t bother..
    Although I prefer the “natural”, I currently use regular laundry soap, regular soap, some cleaners (although I do use some homemade cleaners in spray bottles). I am not brand loyal on a lot of things especially if I can get them really cheap — Especially when you are trying to make every penny count 😉
    Have I ever told you my Albertson’s and Kroger grocery store adventures from my early married days when we lived in TX?

• Claire Hall says:

Actually, I was talking to Jordan yesterday. He mentioned something about you going to the grocery store and coming home with a whole cart of groceries that you only paid like $2 for.

Albertson’s, Kroger, HEB and Winn-Dixie USE TO have a program called “Fresh or Free”. They would guarantee the products in the store were in date and if you came across an out of date product– you could take the out of date product, with a the exact same in date product up to the checkout and you would get the in date product for free.
    I literally was getting grocery carts full of food for free. I had several friends who would monitor stores as well and we knew the system like the back of our hand. I knew when the products were about to expire. Some stores were excellent about stocking and rotation. Other stores were horrible. I caught so many BAD practices in grocery stores. IT was NOT uncommon for stores to “relabeled” meat and other perishable items with new tags.
    I was able to get $20 and $30 hams and turkeys often. Salad bags, carrot sticks, refrigerated foods were always out of date. Medicine was always out as well. I was able to get bread, frozen foods like veggies to ice cream, cereal, canned food. Almost everything has a date on it.
    I would keep track of store items that I was watching in a notebook. I wish I would have kept track of how much money I saved by doing the “Fresh or Free” guarantee but I would guess it was literally thousands and being newly married, and having little money–this was a life saver for us. Not only that, but the stores started paying attention and management excellence increased in many of the stores.
    Yes..I was bold enough to take a grocery cart of food and say, “These items are “Fresh or Free.” but I started with a few items to see if it would really work. One trick I did learn, when deciding on which grocery lane to pick, always pick the high school guy. The women checkers ALWAYS took it personal as if you were stealing their own food. The guys thought it was awesome and couldn’t wait to try it getting fresh or free food for themselves.
    As I understand…that program was done away with. It use to be advertised in grocery papers, posters in the store and with a sign at the checkout counter. I haven’t see that in years though….

It was the horrible stores where it was easy to get a cart full of food. Some times there would not even be a in date item in certain sections and I would just take the out of date item up to them and tell them the entire section of ….chicken breasts… or whatever it was.. was out of date. Just to let them know. Nice of me right 😉
    The nicely managed stores ever once in a while would have items that were out and I would pick up a few items on the fresh or free guarentee. Most of the time these stores were thankful for the heads up and would go pull the out of date items immediately.

HAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS SOOOOOOOO TRUE about those NAZI women who think you are stealing their own personal food!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let alone that it was company policy!!!!! hahahahahhahahaa!!!!

Ok I was an HEB checkout clerk and I do have to say…it WAS annoying when people came through with $150 worth of food for FREE. NOT because we were opposed to the policy (I took advantage of the program too!) but it was SO time consuming to check out $150.00 worth of groceries that were going to end up being free. It really was a hassle.
    The other people we couldn’t stand was an ethnic group of ladies and men who would argue over PENNIES. Never was a racist until I worked for HEB. To this DAY I have an instant aversion to a certiain ethnicity.
    On that note – I’m sorry they’ve done away with the policy!
    As for grocery savings, I’m inspired…but not sold on the idea yet. I am gonna go gather up extra grocery coupons though. Good idea on the recycling bins. There were lots of great coupons in my paper this Sunday! I don’t use the brand of makeup that you sent the free coupon for…but…I’m gonna get 2 coupons and then sell the makeup on ebay! 🙂

• Momuvseven says:

LOL I am that mom who bought 30 jars of applesauce and this past week I just bought ten more all at fifty cents a jar for Motts. I play by the rules of course. My children love applesauce and I use it in cooking as well in place of fats or just for flavoring.
    Thanks for a fun blog!

Now that is too funny!
    Momuvseven — You inspired me on the Grocery Game message boards with your 30 jars of applesauce! When I saw you on the message boards on the GG, I thought you might be on the Momys list?
    Great ideas for the applesauce— I have used applesauce when making brownies–works for the oil and makes them moist..

• Momuvseven says:

LOL, yes I am on the Momys list/bb but I don’t get over there too often.