A Cherry Pie

I finally made a cherry pie from the Cherries we recently picked off our tree.  Last year, I had the privilege of having my grandmother stay a few weeks with me.  One of the many things she taught me was how to make fruit pies.  In recent months, her sister also stayed with us and taught me how to make the most wonderful pie crusts using oil instead of that nasty CRISCO.  I used a extra light virgin olive oil and it turned out great.  I would avoid the heavier olive oils as it would add too strong of a taste to the crust.

Beautiful…almost–it was cracking but after it cooled a bit it looked much better and tasted soooo good.  For a treat for my hard working men, this was a welcomed dessert served with a bit of cream on top.
However, as I was making this pie, I did reconsider the saying, “Easy as PIE….”  ????  I guess once I get a few dozen pies under my belt, maybe I will be able to say that but for now….it wasn’t boxed cake!

Okay, the pie looks awesome! I prefer the saying “piece of cake” because I have never bought into “easy as pie.” Especially awesome with home made cherries! Also, is that Annabelle in the backround??? If so you MUST put some updated pictures of her on the blog. With all your spare time I decree that you shall take pictures of all three of your girls together.

Yes..my baby girl — 😉

What made the pie even more of an art is that I ground soft white wheat berries into flour to make the crust.
    and it was actually really good being that it was a “whole grain” crust and didn’t taste that way—-

maybe we can transport some cherries and make some pies when we are in your neck of the woods….

I was trying to get the “slow down cowboy” message but it hasn’t come up yet

• Robin says:

Can you share your recipe for pie crust made with olive oil? My son is allergic to soy, so we can’t use Crisco, and that’s a way he could have pie.
    Thanks, Robin

To get “slow down cowboy” you have to put in one to two word posts and press enter and then do it again really fast. It says you can only post every fifteen seconds. [i get that a lot] 😉