Albino Deer Photographed

Odocoileus virginianus – Albino Whitetail Deer

How often do you get to see an albino deer in the wild? Depending on where you find the statistics on the web, you have somewhere between 1 and a million to 1 and 100,000 chance that you will see one.

But the real question is how often will you actually have a camera with you when you see one? I couldn’t find statistics for that one! But what ever the odds are, we were blessed with both of these “against all odds” events today. These were taken on Hwy 46 between Grassland and Leipers Fork, just south of the Harpeth River.

• Dave says:

Never even knew albino deer existed.
    Should the copyright notification show MMV instead of XXV?

• Paul TN says:

Dave,
    Unless they are very old dear photos!
    Thanks for the catch. I should probably pay more attention to the late night edit sessions.
    – Paul TN

• judy says:

where does the goverment take the albino fawns if one if found like in conyers georgia 2005

• Administrator_VT says:

Judy,
    I’m not sure. It seems to me if one was found abandoned that it would probably end up in a zoo somewhere, but I’m far from an expert on this.
    – Paul

• Alan Chastain says:

We live in Thompson Station and saw a small albino deer on Pantall road which is off Thompson Station road around 5:45pm March 28, 2006

• Lori Settle says:

I saw 4 white deer this morning in my yard in Okeechobee, Fl. About 25 miles north of Lake Okeechobee. There was one large buck and 3 smaller does. I did not have a camera, but did have my camera phone. The photos are not very good. They did not appear to have pink eyes, so after researching on the internet, I assume they are white deer like the ones in Seneca NY, and not albino deer. Any idea how they would get so far south?

• Administrator_VT says:

I think there are probably small herds of white dear in the wild still, but I’m not sure. I would check with your local game warden and see what they have to say. Ours was very helpful when I contacted them with these photos. I’d be interested in what they had to say.
    It’s amazing how little information is on the internet on this subject. I too read the article on the white deer in NY when I was researching this one.
    Maybe I should make this forum available for others who would like to share their stories. If anyone else has spotted a white or albino deer, feel free to post the location of the sighting here.
    If there is enough interest / sightings, I’ll purchase a web site for this purpose.

• Deerstalked says:

It happened this morning while brushing my teeth, I looked out the back window and 25 yards away a white deer was looking back at me. Deer often feed in what had been a cornfield fifteen years ago and is now overgown with all types of bushes and weeds. Grabbed the digital camera…dead batteries. Got the 35mm out…dead batteries. Found an underwater disposable left over from a Caribbean trip, unwrapped it and pushed the button…nothing. Only after I read the insructions, did I figure out the film needed to be wound to the starting position to activate the shutter release. Back to the bathroom window…gone!
    This is on eastern Long Island in a substantially built up area near the pine barrens. There were two “normal” deer with the white one and all seemed to be full grown, but on the small side. My first impression, seeing only the white one at first, was “what is a llama doing here?” Was it an albino? I don’t know; it certainly had a lot of pink around its eyes, but I can’t be sure whether the nose and eyes were completely pink. The bathroom window has been washed, the screen removed, the batteries charged, and my sunset and sunrise schedule altered for now. For now, I’ve been captured by the game.

• […] This post and comments has been moved to its new home on josiahproject.com […]